Thursday, August 20, 2009

True Blood


I am here to confess my obsession with the HBO miniseries "True Blood"

Its basically a vampire soap-opera currently in the second season. The show revolves around an alternate reality where the development of synthetic blood has allowed the undead to "come out of the coffin" and dwell openly amongst humans. The main character is a telepath named Sookie Stackhouse. She falls in love with a civil war-era vampire named Bill and they have lots of adventures.

USA Today said "Sexy, witty and unabashedly peculiar, True Blood is a blood-drenched Southern Gothic romantic parable set in a world where vampires are out and about and campaigning for equal rights. Part mystery, part fantasy, part comedy, and all wildly imaginative exaggeration, True Blood proves that there's still vibrant life — or death — left in the "star-crossed cute lovers" paradigm."

I must admit that the show is overtly violent, sexually charged, profanity ridden, and generally negative towards Christians (at least the televangelists - which they use as the general stereotype)...

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the show. The topics that it deals with are often very human topics and you can find a lot of thought-provoking social commentary amidst the less wholesome moments.

I have examined my life carefully since I began watching it to see if it was being of any influence in my life. I know that everything we do, see, and interact with has some influence on us - however, I don't see any place in my life where True Blood is corrupting me beyond the struggles I always deal with.

Yet, I decided that I should look to others for advice on how they would view watching a show like True Blood while walking a Christian life. For fun, I came up with a few imaginary responses from famous pastors and theologians...

Calvin: What's a TV?

John Piper: You should just turn the TV off in general.

Mark Driscoll: You ought to watch it to maintain relevance with the culture.

Paul Washer: How do you expect to watch that filth and have the Spirit fill you up?

Jerry Falwell: If they show kids holding hands in that program - turn it off!

Joel Osteen: (smiling) You deserve to watch whatever makes you be the best person you can be.

TD Jakes: (sweating and yelling) Devil come out of that TV show right now, in the name of Jesus!

NOW...What about you? Even if you have never seen/ heard of the show, what do you think about me watching it after reading this post?

I appreciate your replies.

2 comments:

  1. Im a Sopranos fan myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I watched the first episode and found the sexual content too explicit. However I love "dexter". Go figure!

    ReplyDelete