Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Protect Thyself



This past Monday was my first "Protect Thyself" seminar. A few months ago, a friend who serves as a houseparent at Eagle Ranch asked me to come teach his (5) middle-school boys self-defense. I talked it out with him over a few weeks and the result was a class called "Protect Thyself."

The essence of this one-day period of instruction is to give the student a introduction to practical ways they can defend themselves both physically (against assaults and abductions) and spiritually (against the temptations which spring from our nature, the world, and the devil).

I spent the physical portion talking about how to stay safe and out of harms way before transitioning into some drills that showed them ways to defend themselves if it came to that. They loved the hands on interaction and the sense of accomplishment. Then I spent the spiritual section focusing on the gospel (always central) and the biblical portrait of spiritual combat as we discussed the weapons we have in that battle (prayer, the word, social action...)

I can't post many pictures because I need the kids parent's premission to put them on-line. Here are a few of me and John (my houseparent friend) demonstrating a choke defense.

Now that I have one of these under my belt, I am looking to open this up to interested youth groups and ministries. It is also great for women AND men (if they can push past that male pride we all have). If you know of anyone interested, shoot me a message.

glover4088@bellsouth.net

I have a blog up that touches on this right now, I may get a full webpage in the future - if it takes off. Thanks!

http://protectthyselfsd.blogspot.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment