Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Interview Outcome


Lots of people are probably interested in how my interview went yesterday - so I figured that it would be easiest to give the rundown on here and then simply direct folks to this link.

I think that I did very well in the interview itself. I met with 3 of the top folks at the Court of Appeals Chief Executives Office. I wasn't flabbergasted by any questions and I felt they were overall impressed. At the end of the interview they asked me if I had any questions and thats when things when south.

I asked them about the daily routine, the hours, the chance for upward mobility, etc...

They were very honest and they gave me a lot to think about. Here is the situation as it looks now.

PRO to this job - $375.00 a month net income increase (thats a minivan)

CONS to this job:
- take away $100.00 of that increase immediately for my bus pass to get there
- add 1 to 1 ½ hours away from my family each day due to a longer commute
- no upward mobility (they were very honest about the fact that the court rarely has new vacancies and that they rarely hire from internal candidates even when they do have openings)
- suspension of civil service protections (I would work at the pleasure of the Chief Judge, so all the benefits of government job security are out the window)
- need to go buy dress pants, shirts, and shoes (no more shorts and tees)
- travel on Mother's Day to judicial conference every other year
- no cost of living increases ( Court is cutting budget they explained and they are about to stop giving both "step" increases and annual cost of living increases)
- working as a "gopher" for 12 appellate judges who see themselves as demi-gods (obviously fun)

So, as you can see I am not too excited about this job prospect. I have decided to continue with the application process if they call me in for the second interview. If they do eventually offer me the job, I will accept on the condition that they reimburse me the cost of my bus pass each month (hey, its going green isn't it?!?)

Thanks to everyone who was praying for me. God doesn't always answer in the affirmative and it might be that the uneasy feeling I got yesterday about this job is His way of saying "I have something better around the bend." I am not sure yet of the choice I'll make in this situation - but I pray that He will continue to be with me for my joy and His glory.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll know what to do when the time comes. If you already feel this isn't for you and NO room to advance then decline, be patient and wait on GOD because he will never leave you or forsake you , you just have to have constant faith and know he is opening something grander around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason, glad the interview went well. Um you can wear shorts and a t-shirt to your current job? Doesn't sound that bad to me!!!! You don't come across jobs like that often.

    Oh, and the "gopher" thing isn't really "gophering" at all. Most of the judges are nice and very family oriented. I think they were giving you the worst case scenario to see how loyal you would be. In most occupations you have to "cater" to your boss in some way or other that you may not favor. I mean this would not be "The Devil Wears Prada" or anything. Bottom line you have two small children at home (not that you needed reminding) and you have to do what is best for your family fo' sho'! We will be praying for you and know God had big things planned for you all.

    ReplyDelete