Thursday, June 11, 2009

The National Archives


According to a recent survey of Federal employees across all Federal agencies, conducted by the Office of Personnel Management, my job ranks second to last in terms of "the best place to work in government."

I feel some vindication in regards to my loathsome view of the National Archives. I guess it wasn't just me being negative after all. Now, I know that having a pessimistic attitude about my occupation is wrong. In fact, I have gotten much less cynical about the work I do since the economic crisis hit and as the Holy Spirit has worked on my heart. I used to bring my woes home each night and pour out my frustrations on my family. I have almost completely ceased doing that and I have felt much better because of the switch.

All of that said, I do spend most days battling in my heart an overwhelming feeling that my job sucks and I don't want to be here anymore. Perhaps it is the lack of air conditioning in the warehouse, or maybe its the mundane and simplistic work that each day brings, it is most probably the poor pay I receive for my time. A host of reasons come to mind on why I despise my job so much.

However, I want to take a moment to reflect on the benefits of my job in these last 4 years. I do believe that I have had some opportunities that few others get on their jobsite and I feel that I should share those...

- I was hired as a college student and they were extremely flexible in working with my school schedule.
- When I completed school they offered me full-time employment (they didn't have to).
- I have lost weight here in the summer, by virtue of manual labor in 95 degree heat.
- I get to listen to an iPod for 6 out of 8 hours each day (on average). That has allowed me to gain so much theological and practical knowledge about the faith, in the form of podcasts from Piper, MacArthur, Begg, Sproul, Driscoll, Kokul, and Zacharias.

Most of all, due to the lack of anything interesting to say about our actual jobs, the employees here are constantly engaging in discussions about politics and religion. This has opened the door for me to share Christ in ways that most jobs would not allow. Despite the fact that no one from my work has yet come to be justified by faith, I feel that I have been planting and watering seeds. I look to God for the growth of these deposits in his providential timing.

In reflection, there are positive aspects of this job and I don't want tio be overwhelmed by the negativity which I am so naturally inclined to exhibit. Yet, it is my prayer that I would either be promoted here or other ventures would open up soon - my family is expanding, my boys are growing up, I am getting older, and I have many worries about the ability we will have to sustain ourselves on so paltry an income.

Ultimately, I desire that God would place me in a more financially stable place with work that I enjoy, but his will and not mine should be done. If I am to endure here for awhile longer I ask for the grace to sustain my battle against despair.

Please pray for me to "not be anxious" as you examine your own occupational attitude. Thanks.

Matthew 6:25-34

No comments:

Post a Comment