Monday, June 15, 2009

Man Overboard!


Soteriology is the study of the Christian doctrine of salvation. I believe it is a enormously fundamental thing to properly understand. Having an informed and biblical worldview regarding the particulars of getting saved can make a massive difference in all aspects of ones life and faith.

In culture today, that is culture within western Christendom, we have reduced our soteriology into a bumper sticker that says "Jesus Saves." While I agree with that notion completely and I admire the impact that such basic truth conveys, I am concerned that most churches/ pastors don't go into any further depth on this matter. We are too content with knowing the "What" of salvation without investigating the " How and Why."

I want to use this blog to lay out a very basic illustration that describes the 4 basic understandings of salvation within the historical context of theology and debate. I look to Christ in the scriptures and I see him using stories, allegories, and metaphors to bring understanding on difficult issues. I like that approach and I try to use it as much as possible. However, I know that all illustrations are limited in some aspect and thus, I will also use this post to back up my understanding of salvation with some biblical proof. Finally, I want to provide a few resources towards the end that I believe can be of great assistance if you find yourself looking for additional (and more thorough) information on the topic.

Special thanks to John H. at my church for first introducing me to a form of this allegory. I have tweaked it abit as I decided to use it, but I need to confess it was not my original idea.
___________

Background
A man is lost at sea. He was a sailor who got too close to the edge of the deck as he tried to peer into the ocean. The Navy has realized that this sailor is "man overboard" and a rescue operation has begun...

Scenario 1
The sailor is a strong swimmer. He wasn't wearing a life jacket but it was ok because he didn't really need it. He has the ability to stay afloat by himself and he can even make forward progress with his breaststroke if he chooses. As he sees the rescue boat drawing near, the sailor swims hard to the boat, hauls himself up inside, says thanks for the blanket he receives and prepares to rejoin his ship.

Scenario 2
The sailor can just barely swim which is good because he didn't have a life jacket on when he fell in. As he treads along the surface of the water, the rescue boat draws near. Once they are within sight, the sailor yells out and decides to go ahead and haul himself in the boat as he desires to return to the ship. He grabs the side of the boat and pulls himself partially up, a rescuers hand comes down to assist in getting him all the way in. He is thankful that the boat was there so he could get in it, and he is appreciative that the rescue crew is so helpful in aiding him as he tried to get in.

Scenario 3
The sailor can't swim but he did have on a life jacket when he fell in. As he bobs along the surface of the water he realizes that the cold water has made his muscles go numb and he is now incapable of any real effort. Suddenly, he sees the rescue boat drawing near. Once they are within arms reach, the rescue boat asks the sailor if he would like them to go ahead and pull him out of the water. The sailor chooses to have his rescuers grab him and bring him up into the boat. He thanks them for coming out and giving him the chance to be pulled into the rescue boat. Wrapped in his blanket, the sailor ventures back to the ship.

Scenario 4
The sailor fell off the ship with no life jacket and no ability to swim. He hit the water and was dead from drowning within minutes. As the rescue boat arrives at his location, they prepare to send down a dive team to bring up the sailors lifeless body. Once they get him into the boat they perform CPR on him and soon he is brought to life. Incredibly thankful that his rescuers went to so much effort, the sailor is overwhelmed with joy on his way back to the waiting ship and the land of the living.
___________

The first scenario is Pelagianism. This is the view that original sin does not exist. We are essentially born as blank slates with the ability to choose God and work towards communion with him in complete independence. In this view, God is not necessary or active in the process of salvation, he is simply our end goal. Jesus is seen as a "good example" for us in contrast to Adam's "bad example." This was condemned as a heretical view in the early church.

The second scenario is semi-Pelagaianism. In this view we also see beliefs about the non-existence of original sin. It is looked at as man and God cooperating in salvation. It is man who makes the initial choice for God (without any grace at all) and based on that act of volition, God agrees to work in the man's life and complete the process. Here we see God as helper in salvation, but not author. This too was declared to be heretical by the church.

The third scenario is Arminianism. In this viewpoint, man is fallen through original sin - yet God gives just enough grace to allow us to do one thing; we can chose salvation (or not). If we make the choice to be saved, then God will swoop in and do all of the work for us, we must only open the door. Many evangelicals today hold to this belief about salvation. It is we who choose God and God knowing the choice we will make, chooses us.

The fourth scenario is Reformed theology. In this take on salvation, we are born into sin and we are completely unable to even make a decision of our will towards God. We rebel against him continuously and the only way for us to have relationship with him is if he acts as the initiator of our faith. Only when God moves us to be changed can we begin a relationship with him It is God who saves us before time and subsequently it is we who choose God.
____________

I am a strong advocate of the fourth view. Reformed soteriology or Calvinist salvation is based on the biblical teachings that tell us we made no effort towards God before he decided to change our very ontological nature. Only when the essence of our being was moved from loving the darkness to loving the light, did we begin to see God as holy and worthy of adoration. I think that scripture has a lot to say about this, including:

John 6:44:
"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. " - Jesus speaking

Romans 9:6-16:
"But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad-in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls- she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy."

John 15:16:
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."

Acts 13:48:
"And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed."

Ephesians 1:4-5:
"even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,"

Ephesians 1:11:
"In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,"

Philippians 1:29:
"For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake"

1 Thessalonians 1:4-5:
"For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake."

2 Thessalonians 2:13:
"But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits to be saved, through sanctification [by the Spirit] and belief in the truth."

2 Timothy 1:9:
"who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,"
_____________

There is certainly much more that could be discussed on this issue and those who disagree with me might be able to spend hours debating me on salvation. Ultimately, I see the Reformed interpretation of Scripture as the only view that can cohesively hold the entire redemptive plan of the Bible together. It is also the most God-centered (the least man-centered) take on the "how" of our salvation.

I know many of you reading this already agree with my understanding of Scripture, I hope that the illustration I provided will be of use to you as you encourage others to consider their convictions on the topic.

I know that some of those who agree with this point are far better equipped to discuss the nuisances associated with historical Reformed soteriological teaching. Adam - I look forward to learning more depth myself.

I imagine that some of you do not agree with Reformed views on salvation. I hope that I have sparked your interest to examine more closely the reasons behind your beliefs on the subject.

Above all, I want all people to understand that this is not a fruitless theological debate. Our actions and attitudes in life are directly influenced by the specifics of what we think on issues like this one. We don't always see the conscious link between the two, but it certainly exists. How one sees soteriology will have enormous impact on their relationship to God, their personal evangelism, and their submission to the Holy Spirit in the ongoing process of sanctification.

It wasn't until I embraced Reformed thinking that I became aware of the depth of my own rebellion and the subsequent enormity of Gods grace. Only after I trusted in God as the motivating agent in salvation did I fully comprehend the meaning of 1 Corinthians 3:5-9 as I spread the gospel. Lastly, as I realized what Christ did for me despite my ultimate unworthiness, I found joy in loving and obeying God instead of somber duty. These practical attitudes and applications in my daily life as a Christian were deeply influenced by my soteriology.

I challenge you to think about your own ideas about salvation, what the scriptures say, and how that view affects your own faith.
____________

And a few resources for further study into Reformed soteriology...

Monergism
http://www.monergism.com/

Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics
http://www.reformed.org/

Desiring God Ministries
http://www.desiringgod.org/

Westminster Confession of Faith
http://www.pcanet.org/general/cof_preface.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment