Friday, March 12, 2010

Highway 20 Ride



This song by the Zac Brown Band has moved me deeply.  As a product of divorce myself, one in which my father was largely absent from my life, I often get choked up at songs like this.  That emotion is compounded by the fact that my wife and I had a rough time ourselves awhile back and (except for God's grace) the singer of this song could have been me.

These things highlight my growing concern that churches across America are not spending enough time on marital retreats and workshops.  It also brings to my mind the current situation in conservative faith-based politics...everyone wants to throw down the gauntlet on homosexuality and hardly anyone wants to address the massive divorce rate we have in the nation (and in the church).

I really hope that the importance of a biblical view of marriage will soon become a major topic within our churches and our activist organizations...not as a fad, not for profit, and not so that we can point out how others are undermining that institution. 

I want to see marriage take center-stage so that families can stay together and kids can grow up with both parents in a loving home, just as God has intended.  Its best for our society and it gives the Lord the most glory when we follow his blueprint for our lives.

It would also mean less sappy country songs about divorce and less Kleenex in my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment