Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Two Random Points


1) Recently a relative told me about a sermon series at their church. It was entitled "20 questions." The name eluded to the reason behind the series - a 12 year old girl from the congregation sent the pastor a list of 20 theological/ faith questions. The pastor decided to answer them publicly.

My relative gave me the link to download the sermons and so I did. I put (4) of them on my IPO to listen to at work. The second message was entitled "Did God make me a Christian or did I choose to be one?" I was highly interested in this message and I listened to it with lots of devoted attention on what was being said.

The clergyman began his remarks by answering "YES" to the question. I thought that was clever and true. We do choose God, as a result of his having chosen us. The "YES" answer worked for me. I got excited about what else he would say. Then it hit...

Unfortunately, this United Methodist pastor spent the vast majority of the rest of his sermon denouncing "predestination theology." He never referred to Reformed or Calvinist beliefs, he misrepresentated what we believe in the Reformed camp, and he even used a quote of Wesley's to condemn Reformed faith as blasphemy. Thats pretty strong!

I hate to say this, but this type of attitude is pretty typical in my experience. I know that a lot is said about Calvinists being arrogant. I don't think most are - I think we are pegged that way because the biblical material we present is offensive to the natural man of the listener in many cases. Actually, it seems to me that the stewards of libertarian free will theology are the ones who are most exclusive. How many times have you heard and Arminian say: "sure, we disagree about soteriology and the how of salvation, but I respect your interpretation on the elect and I love you as a brother."

Typically, I see fundy free-will guys lambasting (sp) the reformed view with little charity. On the flip side, most of my friends are reformed guys and I have never seen any of us be derogatory towards an Arminian. I disagree with free-will theology and I think that it often leads to anthro-centric beliefs - but I always respect and love my brothers in Christ.

We both believe the same "what" if not the same "how." I pray for more love and charity between the differing Protestant theologies. A house divided cannot stand.
_______

2) This brief thought struck me today:

"We must enjoy God for who he is, not for what he does for us or gives us."

This is the rule of any relationship. I must love my parents, my wife, my kids, for who they are in themselves. No one would say I truly loved them if I only had dealings with them to service my own desires.

We can't want God because he heals us, he prospers us, he saves us from the fear of death, or he lets us live forever in happiness. Those are all good and true things in different measure, yet the core truth is that we must desire God for who he is. We must desire relationship with him that we might be counted able to bring him the glory he deserves, regardless of what price it is to us.

Some folks don't get this. I worry about them. They might be the people of Matthew 7:21-23 one day.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

We must come to know God in real relationship as we would any other whom we truly love - for them, not us.

The practical ways to do that are time in the Word, prayer, and community. These things must be habitual, but not mechanical, if we are to get close with the Father. I have seen my own relationship grow a great deal in the past year. That is primarily due to the journey I started on January 1 to read the Bible this year (every day) and the new church family we have found. I still struggle with prayer. I think getting close with God will always be a struggle. We are in a war as long as we are on this planet. The world, the flesh, sin, and the devil will stop at nothing to thwart us from staying close to God.

Praise be to the Lord that the final victory is already written. We will stand in his literal presence one day and those enemies will be vanquished forever. Until then keep marching!

No comments:

Post a Comment