Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mortification


Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

A lion prowling around the exterior walls of my house may be barred in the immediate from eating me, yet he is only biding his time and waiting for my guard to drop or my gate to fail so that he might come in and have a meal. To be freed from the worry and the danger of that lion, I must do more than place barricades between us - I must see him slain.

I often feel that my battle to overcome the sins that plague me is a desperate one which usually ends poorly for me. I know that we shall not be perfected as long as we wait in this mortal shell groaning for our future hope, yet I am also aware that there is power in the Holy Spirit to overcome the desires of the flesh and the snares of the evil one.

I like the title of John Owens book, The Mortification of the Flesh. That reflects my desire to utterly vanquish the temptation and sin that creeps up in my heart. I am looking to add that title to my collection in the future, I imagine it will be a good read. Until then I am reexamining how I can best allow the Spirit to work in my life and how I can subsequently be set more free from the envy, pride, and lust that attack my walk with God.

I am thankful to be back in church with godly people who have Christ-centered hearts and biblically sound theology. I am also excited for the new friends I have made and the Tuesday night bible study that I have with some other men. I have been edified by reading the Bible thru this year and I have been working at my prayer life. All that said, I still feel that my natural man wins the skirmish on a regular basis.

Does anyone have any practical suggestions or resources that have helped you in killing your sinful self and living more fully and joyously for the glory of Christ? (No flagellation, cilice, or mock crucifixions will be taken in account)

2 comments:

  1. I'd say that working with the needy is a biblical, powerful way to look past yourself and to live more fully in Christ. Christian community and teaching are like food. Working with the poor is the ultimate exercise.

    A recent study of that theme in the NT was really eye-opening for me.

    Also, the title of this post reminded me of the Christian metal band Mortification. Awesome. I'm gonna go dig up that CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian...that is the part of the equation that I feel is most out of my comfort zone AND the part of the equation that I am most in need of! I am gonna talk with my wife and see where we can get involved with more social action as a means to show the love of Christ. I appreciate you pointing that point out!

    ReplyDelete