Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Sea





We went to the beach this weekend. It was my first time back to the beach since I left my apartment in Wilmington, NC back around 2004. I found myself once again in awe of the vastness and the power of the ocean. As I get older in the Lord I am becoming more prone to reflect on the beauty of God's creation. The ocean is a masterpiece.

Several reflection about the sea, the Scriptures, and my spiritual life came to mind as I looked out on the waves...

1) The promise of God to Abraham in Genesis 22.
“By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. "
It reminds me that I am one of those grains of sand. Not because of anything I did, but due to the mercy and the covenant love of God. Am I taking utmost pleasure in that adoption or am I letting other idols rule my heart?

2) The divinity of Christ shown in his absolute authority over nature. (Mark 4)
"On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. He said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?” And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, “Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
A question answered by Peter in Matthew 16: "“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Do I bow before him in the same manner as the waves fell prostrate or do I rebel aganist his Lordship?

3) The glimpse John had into Heaven in Revelation 5.
"And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!'"
Do I weep with longing to join the worshippers before the throne or do I desire to sing my own songs for my own purposes?

I do not think that a born-again believer (John 3) can ever lose his salvation. It is clearly a gift from God and it is he, not us, who sustains that gift. However, I am always concerned, not paralyzingly worried - just concerned, that I might be one of those individuals who is not radically changed by the Spirit. The snares of this world are many and are alluring - I often wonder how I can be sure of my election.

Ultimately, I can't be 100% sure and thats ok. In fact, it is probably better to be like a Puritan, constantly self-examining ones evidences of fruit, than to get so assured that you become complacent. That said, there are some things that can give you an indication of your new birth. I just finished John Piper's book Finally Alive. It deals with the truths of regeneration and it has a helpful section on page 125 where Piper details 11 biblical evidences to help me (and you) test ourselves to ensure that we are walking into eternal joy with Christ and not gnashing of teeth.

I highly suggest the Piper book AND a trip to the beach, summer will be over soon and the ability to read and vacate will be greatly lessened with the coming of school, holidays, and football season :)

No comments:

Post a Comment