Friday, April 13, 2012

The Image of God in Hip-Hop



The Bible says in James 3:1, "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness." It is my conviction that when artists hold the mic and seek to communicate God's heart through music, they must be students of the Word aiming to share God's Word as accurately and practically as they can.


There is beauty that God has established in this world that has fallen into the hands of non-Christians. To distance oneself from those good things is unnecessary, I believe. Having said that, I believe our responsibility as Christian artists is to show what the arts can look like once Christ gets a hold of a person. This is a call to be creative, to pursue excellence, and to demonstrate holiness with a clear and upfront gospel message and lifestyle. Prayerfully this will have an effect on people and lead them to the cross. 


-Flame

If you know me, you know that I have a ridiculous love for "Holy Hip-Hop" or "Refromed Rap" whatever you want to call it.

I am drawn to the ability of these artists to take the truth of Scripture mixed together with the depths of sound theology and formulate an energetic, entertaining, informative, and edifying piece of lyrical-rhythmic genius.

I was introduced to this genre through Lecrae.  His the face of Reformed Rap.  Check out who he is at the Wiki page here.  That led me to discovering the 116 Clique and their "13 Letters" album.  In that album they actually rap the content from each of Paul's 13 epistles.  From there I branched out to Shai Linne and others.  I believe that Shai Linne's album "Storiez" is the best example of amazing Holy Hip-Hop out there.  You should buy it today.

Anywho...today I saw a Gospel Coalition article with Flame that made me think of my love for these artists and what they are doing to bring God glory.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment