Monday, January 23, 2012

The Glover Family


Recently, my pastor did a talk where I was challenged to spend some time thinking about the vision and mission of my family.  The premise was simple...take some of the things that work in our business lives (mission statements, organizational goals, core values...) and see how we might effectively translate such tools to our personal life as a means to get us focused and to keep us on-track for where God wants us to be.

My personality being the type to make speedy and decisive judgment on things, I was finished with my rough draft before I left the building that night.  However, I knew that I needed to sit on this a few weeks and get it right.  I continued to think about the issue and to talk with my wife about her thoughts.  Finally, we collaborated tonight for the final version.

The Glover Family - 2012

Who we are:
"The Glovers are a gospel-centered family comprised of messy people striving for honest communication, family fun, selflessness, and growth in the Spirit...all for the sake of making Jesus famous to our extended family, our circle of friends, our community, and the world."

Our Core Values:
- Grace
- Truth
- Love

Our Family Principles:
- Family Bible Study
- Intentional Prayer
- Collective Giving
- Walking Obediently
- Enjoying Life

Our goals to accomplish by the end of the year:
- Buy a new house to accommodate a growing family.
- Begin the adoption process.
- Go on a short-term mission trip.
- Consistently tithe.
- Lead a LifeGroup.
- Encourage our parents to know/ grow deeper in the Lord.
- Teach our children Scripture memory and the catechisms.

So, there is it.  Thats what we came up with.  I feel good about it.  Its the first time we have ever had a vision for the year.  We discussed each point in depth together and we agreed to sit down every Sunday night and look at our progress and our steadfastness to these goals and principles.

If this is something that you have not done before, let me encourage you to think about it.  While it isn't for everyone, it was very useful for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment