Monday, April 26, 2010

Epiphany

Theology isn't ministry.

This simple statement came to me the other day after I spent an afternoon with an urban church planter. 

I am often so focused on getting my theology correct that I (and many others) end up with a massive deficiency in our own outworking of those foundational beliefs.

I am essentially insulated in my little bubble of work and family everyday.  I do pretty well ministering to my own family, and they ARE my first ministry priority, but I fail horribly at self-sacrificial works of love and mercy towards my own circle of friends, much less strangers.

I am being steadyily convicted about this idea that I am hiding in an ivory tower of thought instead of taking up my own cross on dusty roads to both share the gospel and to show others the grace that Jesus has given me.

My prayer is that God would work in the hearts of my family to begin breaking us out of our own little world and that he will move is us to take big steps in faith towards more personal ministry in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment