Sunday, February 21, 2010

Love Constraining to Obedience


We sang this hymn in worship this morning.  I was incredibly moved by the truth and power present in the lyrics.  The last two lines are my favorite...

Love Constraining to Obedience



Chorus:
To see the Law by Christ fulfilled,
To hear His pardoning voice,
Changes a 
slave into a child
And 
duty into choice.

No strength of nature can suffice,
To serve the Lord aright
And what she has, she misapplies,
For want of clearer light.

How long beneath the Law I lay,
In bondage and distress
I toiled the precept to obey,
But toiled without success.

Then to abstain from outward sin
Was more than I could do
Now if I feel its power within
I feel I hate it too.

Then all my servile works were done,
A righteousness to raise
Now, freely chosen in the Son,
I freely choose His ways

Lyrics: William Cowper (1731-1800)

2 comments:

  1. I am using this hymn to illustrate a sermon and came across your blog while searching for info on who wrote it and when. I know it from Matthew Perryman Jones' rendition of it on the Indelible Grace album. Such beautiful truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate it. I looked at your blog also. I pray you will have great success for the Lord in Ireland.

    Check out one of my other blogs for fun:
    http://irishfolkvideos.blogspot.com/

    I/C
    Jason

    ReplyDelete