Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm 32 years old today...



 Today is my birthday.

I have mixed feelings today.  On one hand I am very happy to be blessed with a roof, heat, indoor plumbing, a job, a wife, 2 healthy kids, etc...

On the other hand, I get very sad sometimes when I look at where I am today in the world's eyes.  I live in a small house and I draw a small paycheck that barely covers the bills (usually at least).  We drive cars from the mid-90s that are falling apart and I am in desperate need of some home repairs to improve the enviormental health of my house. 

I know that all of my woes are nothing compared to the tragedies that occur daily around the world.  There are hundreds of thousands dead from the earthquake in Haiti, genocide is still rampant in Darfur, the people of North Korea are completely oppressed...the list goes on and on.

Yet, I still struggle on most days with my own troubles and stresses, however small they are compared to many out there.  I know that God loves me (despite my wretched unworth) but I don't feel it somedays (or someweeks...)
----------------------------------------------------------------
I want to acknowledge this birthday with some prayer requests for the coming year (2010, my 32nd)...

1)  Help me to improve on being a good husband.  I am the head of my family and their behavior is both my responsibility and a representation how I act to them.  Let me be kinder and more loving to my wife.  Show me where I can help her reduce her pain and stress.  Encourage me to be more positive towards her daily.

2)  In the same way, teach me to parent with a loving heart full of grace so that my children would see Christ in my actions and their understanding of mercy would increase along with their notion of obeying.  Use me as an instrument in the salvation of their little souls.

3)  Give me a promotion at work or a new job that will provide just abit more income to allow us to never want for grocery money, to fix home repairs, and to purchase a used minivan.

4)  Bring my small immediate family group closer together.  We have been through much sorrow on my side of the family, help us to bond together in new times of trial and not separate from one another.

5)  Provide me with men to fellowship with who share my interests and who can sharpen me into a better person.  Also, provide me with the opportunities needed to regularly have that time with other guys, in the midst of a crazy schedule.

6)  Most of all - fix my heart as to remove the pride, the envy, the lust, and all the other sin that dwells within it.  Replace those things with the fruit of your Spirit as described in Galatians 5.  Use me in a capacity to spread your Gospel and to advance your kingdom.  Make of me someone that others are drawn to because I show an image of your love in my words and actions.  I am in desperate need of this revival within my own soul - come I beg.

These things as you will,
Amen
-------------------------------------------------

Lastly, let me share with you this video.  It is famous Irish Folk Music duo of Clancy and Maken singing 'The Dutchman." 

Its a love song about an old man who is going abit senile and his wife who cares for him.  I don't hope to go senile one day, but if I do I hope that God has used the years between these and those to make me a man whose wife and kids would be glad to care for as the Dutchman is cared for. 

Its also an excuse to plug my favorite genre of music again...Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, man!
    I didn't know you liked Irish folk music. I need to pay better attention. I've listened to the Dubliners and the Pogues a bit, but another friend of mine is a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy Birthday!!!!!!!! I had a picture made in a sailor suit too. my Dad was in the Navy

    ReplyDelete