Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shades of Gray



Yesterday a Facebook friend posted this question as her status...

I'm sure I should be more moderate in terms of, well, everything...but it's just so hard. How do you guys see gray?? To me everything is so black and white. It is both a blessing and a curse.

This was my reply.  

Truth is black and white...the living out of this marred and finite life is done in shades of gray. Keep perspective on the profane, the secular good, and the sacred as a friend once told me. Don't try and force all things into the sacred... or the profane. We live in a fallen culture, but you can often engage the gray areas without being in sin. Think about Paul's teaching on eating meat. Its ok to eat meat sacrificed to idols as long as we are not participating in the feast unto the idol. However, he warns us not to eat that meat in the presence of weaker brethren who may be delayed in their faith by seeing us do so. Now apply that to modernity...I think its ok to watch "The Walking Dead" for dramatic enjoyment and to see the nuances of humanity that such a fictional account can portray. I can do so without becoming enamored with zombies over Jesus. However, should I be at a friend's house who has a conviction that watching zombie shows is demonic...I wouldn't try and force that person into sharing my view. I see lots of gray in the daily working out of our life here on earth. I also understand that we are ultimately guided by a set of black and white about the deep questions of eternity. Too often people want to jump to one extreme or the other...either there is no truth at all OR truth is so absolute that we must place everything into neat categories of good/ evil. Look up Aristotle's "Way of the Mean" and see how you can apply his pagan wisdom to your walk of faith. I found it very helpful.
 
I felt really good about what I said, but I wanted to post it here in case anyone had any feedback or commentary on how my thoughts line up with Scripture.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment