Friday, May 6, 2011

My work...

So this post isn't about theology, philosophy, or any such weighty issue.  Its just a look into where I am working these days.  I work in the Federal Records Center, I have worked there for 6 years...its a place where the work is important but generally "warehouse-ish."  Like these pics...






After 4 years doing primarily manual labor, I was accepted into a Management Intern program where I spend most of my time on MS Excel instead of lifting boxes.  

Part of my intern rotations have landed me at our sister facility - the National Archives at Atlanta - in the months of April and May.  When I first got here, I was tasked with assisting in the set-up for our big Civil War symposium.  Heres some images...






Thats THE Archivist of the United States...




PBS was filming.  Check your listings the last week in May.


In subsequent weeks here at the Archives I have been looking over some of the amazing things we have in the region.  Like these...


A 1950s bit of evidence from a civil trial.  Its essentially acid cool-aid.  The company was getting sued because the drink was causing kids teeth to fall out.  The powder is still in there.


Same company made a weird food-supplement.


The patent for the Ford emblem.


Another for some drinky-drink.


Chanel # 5 ladies?


This is a hand-written order from the Supreme Court.


It was dated in 1881.  Notice the seal.


The stacks.


Hank Williams WW2 draft classification.  Its hard to see, but the official deciding if he was fit to serve marked him as unfit.  The reason..."drunkard."


Old Court books.


Maps and blueprints.


A hand-drawn map from the 1800s.


We have stuff from the late 1700s.


It looks like this.  How did people have the time to write so fancy.  No American Idol I guess.


A marriage contract from back in the day.


It was these folks getting married.


PBS came back to film some more clips about our Civil War symposium.


We have an Exhibit Shoppe


This kid was 12 when he was sent to the Atlanta Penitentiary for 1 year and 1 day.


He had done mail fraud of some type.  The letter to his friend says "Be sure not to sell my watch."


"...and there hanging by the neck until pronounced dead..."


Rosa Parks police report


Moonshiners!


"..the production of spiritous liquids...contrary to and against the peace and dignity of the United States."


Thats the exterior.

Anyway, I leave the Archives after next week and head back to the Federal Records Center.  It will be a sad departure.  

I suggest that you visit the National Archives at Atlanta in Morrow, GA if you get a chance.  Very cool stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment