Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Lord's Table


Today at our home church (Southpoint Presbyterian) we celebrated communion. It was the most moving instance of remembering the Lord that I have ever had. I think that the main reason for that was something our pastor said this morning.

He quoted the verse in 1 Corinthians 11 that tells us to examine ourselves before we come to the table. Too often I have spent my Sunday morning before communion dwelling on this verse and picking thru my recent (and distant) past to find some sin that would keep me from receiving the bread and wine (or grape juice..lol).

However, the way Matthew explained it this morning I found myself understanding that the requirement for coming before the table is not being blameless in our moral life - we never can be - the requirement for taking communion is that you truly place your faith in Christ and what he did for us by taking our punishment for sin.

When I stopped searching for a nit-picky reason that I was unworthy and I simply examined my heart to be sure that I did have real relationship with the Lord, I felt very unburdened and my joy in communion this morning was unlike any other time in my life. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment