Friday, April 17, 2009

Remember his stand and our roots


Thanks to the historical awareness of Justin at Between Two Worlds, I can commemerate the trial of Martin Luther at the Diet of Worms today. It was 488 years ago this weekend that the foundation of the Reformation was laid.

When asked by the papal interrogator if he would recant the "errors" he had written in several books, Luther famously replied:

" Your Imperial Majesty and Your Lordships demand a simple answer. Here it is, plain and unvarnished. Unless I am convicted of error by the testimony of Scripture (since I put no trust in the unsupported authority of Pope or councils, since it is plain that they have often erred and often contradicted themselves) or by manifest reasoning, I stand convicted by the Scriptures to which I have appealed, and my conscience is taken captive by God's word.
I cannot and will not recant anything, for to act against our conscience is neither safe for us, nor open to us.

On this I take my stand. I can do no other. God help me."


And on that stand truth began to once again flourish within Christendom. The glorious truth that a sovereign and gracious God seeks to deal with each of us personally - bringing his people to himself and securing their salvation thru the atonement of His son on the cross.

Truth that we are saved by grace alone, thru faith alone, in Christ alone. That the fullness of this gospel message is revealed in Scripture alone and is ultimately for the glory of God alone.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment